Monday, October 29, 2012

happy halloween!

This week Presdient asked us two questions to report on, I think the email to him covers pretty much this week. Here is what he asked:

1.       I would like each of you to tell me if you are happy or not happy in your missionary service and why?

2.       Secondly, do you feel you are productive in your missionary service or not productive and why?


Hello President.


The questions you asked us to report on, are very interesting because this is something I am asking myself. I love missionary work. I love being involved. I love serving. But this week was hard, but the good ALWAYS outweighs the bad. We were suppose to have two baptisms this Saturday, and we didn't. Gwen Ross, was unable to be baptized because of her husband. He didn't want her to be because of his involvement in his church. It was such a confusing week. Here we see people who get baptized all the time and you question if they are ready but Sister Ross was more than prepared. She wanted it so bad but she couldn't act on her agency because of the respect that she had for her husband. He didn't tell us we couldn't come back or that she couldn't come to church BUT she wasn't able to act. I was mad, frustrated, confused, sad, and so many other emotions. I didn't understand what Heavenly Father wanted me, Sister Dunford, or even Gwen to learn. SHE IS READY HEAVENLY FATHER!! WHY CANT SHE DO THIS?? Those were a few things I asked while praying. I have trust in Heavenly Father but it just seemed unfair and from PMG it kept running through my head, "As we rely on the Atonement of Jesus Christ, He can help us endure our trials, sicknesses, and pain. We can be filled with joy, peace, and consolation. All that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ." I was prideful last week. I wanted Gwen to enter into the waters of baptism but I wanted her to enter into that covenant on MY time, not the Lord's time. We aren't sure why Sister Ross isn't able to at this time. A member we have been serving told us, "Sisters, you did your part. You brought her the gospel! You helped her convert. Now its the Lord's will what happens." 

Later in the week, Elder Shelley asked us when do we feel like we are fulfilling our purpose the most. The answer..when we are teaching. And if we follow PMG we need to always be TEACHING! I know sometimes I don't always give 100%, thank goodness for the Atonement. I cannot worry about what I cant control, but worry about what I CAN control. I control my attitude, I control how "wide I open my mouth", I control my obedience. No one else has control of that. I have my agency and I can act on it. 

So long story short, I am HAPPY about my missionary work. Why? because its a constant battle of learning. The Lord guides this work. He gives us multiple chance. We just had a return missionary in the ward speak yesterday and one thing he said was if we saw all the good that came out of our trials we wouldn't work hard for our "prizes". I love missionary work. I can confidentially say, I have no regrets. There isn't room for regrets in this gospel, only improvement. It remind me of a quote from Elder Nelson, "We all need to remember: men are that they might have joy—not guilt trips! We also need to remember that the Lord gives no commandments that are impossible to obey. But sometimes we fail to comprehend them fully."

Next part, do I feel productive? Well, baptism wise, no...not at all. BUT I know I am doing what the Lord wants me to do. I know how to utilize the time as a missionary and find meaningful activities. I have really grown out of the habit of saying, "Well what should we do now" Instead, my mind is constantly thinking about back ups and we pray we aren't sure and we let the Lord and His Spirit guide. I need to stop being a perfectionist and remember the Lord and keep reading and re reading "A successful missionary" PMG PG 10. 

love, Sister Ploth

So thank you all who kept Gwen in your prayers. On Saturday we were able to go down to the temple with Bishop and Sister Crookston so she could see it. We all forgot that the grounds would be closed but just her seeing it was amazing. As I looked at this beautiful, daughter of God, I wept because I knew her desrie and I saw her patience. I have no doubt that Gwen will be able to enter into the Lord's house one day. I am not sure when. Maybe she needs to wait for her family to come here from Jamaica. Maybe her husband needs the Gospel. Who knows. For now, we will involve her as much. She is still going to work on getting Sundays off so she can more fully participate in Sunday services. 
We did meet a cool guy this week. His name is Travis...actually we met him two weeks ago, in the rain while biking. He is 22 and so awesome! He grew up in foster care but you would never guess it. He is going to school to be a sports journalist and has a job! He is pretty self sufficient. He was asking amazing questions and he is looking for more in life. When we invted him to church he said, "Whoa Sisters, baby steps...baby steps." ahahah and the lesson was AT THE CHURCH! We are seeing him on Thursday. 
Saturday night as we were driving home, we went through the neighbor right before our complex...we were at a stop sign and I looked at Sister Dunford and I saw this creature thing on a driveway.....I point and say, "WHAT IS THAT!!!" Now...what do y'all think it was??!?!?!?! Okay, I will tell you! A BEAR!!!!! WE SAW A BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We watched him walk over to a tree and climb up. It was in a cul-de-sac so we drive slowly to see if we can get a picture. I roll down my window and it sounded like it was hissing at us! We quickly took a picture of the tree and sped off. SUper cool. So the second picture...there is a bear up there! 

There is our week. I hope y'all are doing well! We are now back to an empty teaching pool but the Lord needs us to go out and find someone. And we will! Maybe it will be a family!! Oh and dont worry...we didnt get bunch from Hurricane Sandy...but it is really windy and cold. So weird!!

Have a great week!
love, Sister Plorh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment